1. Don't you see de black clouds Risin' ober yonder
Whar de Massa's ole plantation am?
Nebber you be frightened Dem is only darkeys,
Come to jine an' fight for Uncle Sam.
Look out dar, now! We's a gwine to shoot!
Look out dar - don't you understand?
Babylon is fallen! Babylon is fallen!
And we's a gwine to occupy de land.
2. Don't you see de lightnin' Flashin' in de canebrake
Like as if we gwine to hab a storm?
No! you is mistaken 'Tis de darkey's bay'nets,
An' de buttons on dar uniform.
3. Way up in de cornfield, Whar you hear de tunder
Dat is our ole forty-pounder gun
When de shells are missin', Den we load wid punkins
All de same to make de cowards run.
4. Massa was de Kernel In de rebel army,
Ebber sence we went an' run away;
But his lubley darkeys, Dey has been a watchin'
An' dey take him pris'ner tudder day.
5. We will be de massa, He will be de servant -
Try him how he like it for a spell;
So we crack de Butt'nutts. So we take de Kernel,
So de cannon carry back de shell.
Work, Henry C. Babylon Is Fallen. Greer Music Library Historic Sheet Music Collection. Connecticut College.
The views expressed in this paper are solely those of the author.